Church History

We have come a long way from the old ramshackled Bethel School building with its rickety benches and broken windowpanes to the modern structures which now house the members of the Leanna Church of Christ. The spirit of love, cooperation and desire for progress, which permeated the small group who organized the work, is still a highly noticeable characteristic of the Leanna Church today.

On the second Sunday of June 1947, five families held the first church service in the old schoolhouse. Church records show the charter members were C.C. Barrett, Houston Fann, Joe Brewer, Hobert Reed, and S.D. Wrather and members of their respective families.

Early in 1948 the group, still small in number, purchased and repaired an old store house nearby and began worshipping there in March of 1948. All of the early work of the church was under the oversight of the Westvue Church of Christ. W.E. Watts, an elder at Westvue, was more directly responsible for the teaching program during the first two years and the congregation enjoyed remarkable growth and spiritual prosperity during that period.

Early in 1953, Elders and Deacons were appointed. Elders were M.F. Allen and Joe Brewer. Deacons were Cleveland Wrather and Ray Bullock. In 1955, a new $15,000 building was designed and built by R.A. Patrick, one of the members. An overflow audience of 450 attended the first service held in the building. In 1978 the auditorium where we still meet was constructed and just this year has undergone major renovations including new pews, flooring, lighting and other upgrades. The adjoining two story building was erected in 2003 to replace the original building. It contains our fellowship hall, classrooms, nursery, offices and a library. The second story is available for future expansion needs.

Ministers who have served at Leanna are William S. Webb, W.E. Watts, Charles Locke, Mason Tucker, Clifford Brothers, James Ryan, Marvin Brothers, Maurice Thomason, Bob Taylor and Bill Swindell. Our present minister, Kevin Dye, has served since September 2000.

Join our Mailing List

* indicates required

Verse of the Day

“But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.” — Galatians 4:4-5 Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Powered by BibleGateway.com.

Bible Search


RSS Feed

Subscribe to RSS

Facebook / Twitter